This novena is a prayer of petition and thanksgiving for the blessing of holy friendships which provide happy companionship and lead us to greater heights in knowing, loving, and serving God
True Friendship (“I call you friends.” – John 15:15)
Jesus is pure Truth. What He wills is the perfection of love. Therefore, His statement that you are only His friend if you do what He commands you to do teaches that friendship is based on the truth. It's based on love, goodness, kindness, selfless sacrifice, and self-giving. And it is all of these truths that Jesus commands us to do. Therefore, Jesus is essentially telling us that His will alone provides the pathway to the friendship we desire to have with Him.
In regard to your friendship with others, each true friendship can only be based on that which God wills for friends. And, in that sense, you can “command” the will of God for your friendships. This means you are only willing to establish a friendship upon the truth. It means you are only willing to share a relationship based upon selfless, sacrificial, self-giving mercy, compassion, honesty and love.
Reflect, today, upon your understanding of friendship. Begin with your friendship with God, but then also ponder your friendship with others. Do you love our Lord in the way that He commands? And as you ponder your friendship with others, examine whether or not each friendship also conforms to obedience to the will of God. If you can love God and others in conformity with the dictates of true love, then your friendships will produce an eternity of deep fulfilment.
(You can pray this novena anytime)
Inside on this Prayer
- Day 1 - With a focus on humble esteem (St. Bonaventure and St. Thomas Aquinas)
- Day 2 - With a focus on kindred souls (Saints Francis and Clare of Assisi)
- Day 3 - With a focus on answer to prayer (St. Francis de Sales and St. Jane de Chantal)
- Day 4 - With a focus on co-laboring for the Church (St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross)
- Day 5 - With a focus on the joys of friends of all ages (St. Dominic Savio and St. John Bosco)
- Day 6 - With a focus on companionship in our pilgrim journey (Servant of God Elisabeth Leseur and Soeur Marie Goby)
- Day 7 - With a focus on the transforming power of friendship (St. Ignatius Loyola and St. Francis Xavier)
- Day 8 - With a focus on friendship in marriage (Saints Louis and Zelie Martin)
- Da7 9 - With a focus on friendship with Jesus (St. Martin de Porres and St. Rose of Lima)
“A faithful friend is a sturdy shelter; He that has found one has found a treasure.” – Sirach 6:14
Prayer from the novena
O God, who by the grace of the Holy Spirit did pour the gifts of charity into the hearts of your faithful, grant health of mind and body to our friends, that they may love you with all their strength and accomplish with perfect love what is pleasing to you. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Pray now for this novena by clicking on "Pray"